System Safety Engineer
Advanced Hardware EngineeringApply for this position
As a System Safety Engineer in Advanced Hardware Engineering (AHE), you will be responsible for developing and documenting functional & technical safety requirements for sensor, computer, and control modules and provide guidance in architecture design. In addition, you will perform functional safety analysis on both custom and 3rd party hardware architectures at the module/board level. You will work closely with systems engineers, design engineers, and test engineers to fully capture functional safety requirements and the capability of our hardware. Your analysis and assessment will be paramount to all other requirements with respect to our hardware
- Engage with suppliers and review work products to conduct detailed functional safety analysis
- Work with system engineers to develop and document module level functional safety requirements
- Work with design engineers to characterize architectures and decompose module level requirements into board level component requirements
- Ability to interpret Safety manuals provided by vendors (for SOCs developed as per SEOOC concept) and implement safety mechanisms needed for the intended Application
- Work with FW engineers to implement safety mechanisms and help them understand the safety manual
- Work with test engineers to design tests to qualify failure modes, quantify failure rates, and execute HIL fault injection tests to validate functional safety models
- Interface closely with the internal product safety team at Zoox
- Review, approve and provide guidance for architecture proposals and design verification plans
- Lead and participate in quantitative and qualitative functional safety activities that lead to the development of Fault Tree Analysis (FTAs), Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEAs), Design FMEAs, FMED as hazard Analysis and Risk Assessments (HARAs) or Functional Hazard Analysis (FHAs).
- B.S. or higher degree in Aerospace, Automotive, Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical, or Systems Engineering
- 3+ years of work experience with hazard analysis, functional decomposition, validation, and verification
- Familiarity with schematic design tools(Altium/Mentor Graphics/Cadence)
- Analytical skills and passion for writing clear, concise, and verifiable requirements
- System development experience within standards such as: ISO-26262, ARP4754A, ARP4761, DO-178C, DO-254, IEC 61508
- Familiarity with Reliability handbooks like SN29500, IEC62380
- Familiarity with embedded systems, operating systems
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills
- Familiarity with requirements development/ maintenance tool like Polarion, JAMA or DOORS.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $150,000 to $241,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.