Integration Engineer, Safety Controls
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
At Zoox we have set the goal to provide our customers with the highest level of safety while using our fully autonomous vehicles. As a member of the Zoox Vehicle Safety Engineering team you will work with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds such as robotics, control, and vehicle engineering. You will be responsible for developing safety control systems that aid the vehicle safety and occupant protection system performance. You will be involved all the way through the complete vehicle development process from concept to validation testing. You will be working in the Zoox vehicle integration safety team and work closely with the Zoox internal and external supplier module system teams, with CAE and test laboratories. You will develop clear and precise performance requirements for our advanced vehicle safety control systems and assess them in CAE and physical tests. Working at Zoox offers you the chance to manifest your creativity, utilize your excellent organizational and communication skills and make a big difference in the final product.
- Support achievement of complete vehicle technical specification (VTS) safety performance targets.
- Break down high level VTS targets into clear functions and metrics that define the controls of the vehicle for the related safety restraint systems.
- Communicate requirements with Function integration, VSE and Firmware teams.
- Take ownership of the safety control system to support delivery of the occupant safety performance.
- Work in a team to develop a future generation of occupant restraint systems controls and their integration into the vehicle (including a new generation of active reversible restraint systems, their activation logic and integration strategy, the vehicle crash sensing and ACU firing logic, future occupant classification and more.).
- Develop virtual and physical DVPs and track execution accordingly.
- Understand other vehicle attributes and their effects with regards to safety performance.
- Engage in component, system and full vehicle test activities.
- Provide input for test instrumentation and test targets to validation team before execution of tests (component, system, full vehicle tests).
- Highlight observations, generate and track Jira vehicle performance tickets.
- Analysis of test results and feedback to engineering teams, report out at project gateways.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering with passion for electric, autonomous mobility.
- 10+ years of experience within automotive development and testing, preferable safety testing.
- Detailed knowledge of FMVSS, and other legal and consumer safety protocols.
- Experienced in safety test setup and execution.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency with Python, Matlab, and/or NI Diadem, Hyperworks strongly preferred.
- Experience with 3D design and PLM tools, CATIA 3DX or CATIA V5 preferred.
- Project management experience.
- DFMEA knowledge, Experience with requirements management tools (Polarion or equiv.).
- Capable to build and script templates for first-pass data integrity checks, results analysis, and reporting.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.