Mechanical Engineer, Thermal Systems
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
Within Vehicle Engineering at Zoox, we have a new and exciting opportunity for a talented Mechanical Engineer to lead the ongoing design, development, and optimization of thermal system hardware with focus specifically biased towards Cooling and / or refrigeration components. In this role, you will have an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to various challenging projects and activities involving Electric Self-Driving vehicles; such as thermal management of high voltage battery, cooling of autonomous computing and electric drivetrain architecture. You will be working closely with other Thermal Engineers within the team as well as cross-functionally with Vehicle Integration, Thermal Controls, Safety, Supplier and Corporate Quality, as well as Supply chain management to coordinate, execute and deliver engineering solutions to vehicle and system specifications and to program milestones.
The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills, be a good team player and work independently and with minimal supervision to plan, manage and execute activities that fall within the scope of the role. Experience of generating designs in CAD (preferably CATIA V6 or equivalent) is a pre-requisite. Knowledge of Thermal Systems design, and problem solving processes is an advantage.
- Interface with internal vehicle systems engineering and software teams, as well as suppliers, to deliver an integrated Thermal hardware solutions
- Work cross-functionally within the thermal hardware team, thermal integration, NVH, software integration, mission assurance, and test teams
- Deliver to requirements and specifications
- Lead failure mode and effects analysis reviews
- Lead design and production validation activities
- Lead problem solving issues identified both in development vehicles and build
- BS or equivalent degree in mechanical engineering
- Experience in vehicle engineering and component delivery
- Understanding of mechanical Systems, electrical systems, and thermal system architecture
- Knowledge of automotive program development/release process, schedule planning, and testing
- Proficiency with CATIA V5 or V6 CAD software
- Knowledge of best practice design Tools (FMEA, DVP, GD&T)
- Master's degree or PhD
- 3+ years of experience in vehicle engineering, thermal systems design, and component delivery
- Patent awards
- CAN & Network skills
- Automotive OEM or Tier 1 experience
- Polarian, JIRA, or Confluence experience
- Experience of Problem-solving techniques and quality control tools (8D, Six Sigma, Root Cause Analysis)
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.