Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
As a member of the Body and Exterior Systems team, you will have the opportunity to come on board at
the start of the development of the next generation of mobility vehicles. As a Vehicle Lighting Engineer
you will work across all aspects of the Exterior Lighting system regarding Lamp Assemblies, Carriers /
Brackets, System Controllers and the integration of these systems into an brand new vehicle architecture.
You will report to the Vehicle Exteriors and Lighting Manager within Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering Team.
As a core engineer, you will work to ensure successful delivery of systems and assemblies, from
conception through to start of production. Crucial to this success will be driving and managing key
relationships with Zoox’s supplier network while Zoox maintains a lean and agile cross functional team in-
house. You will use your knowledge to direct the technical effort, your expertise to ground the team and
your excellent communication and inter-personal skills to motivate and lead as we take a new path to
redefine a traditional and well established industry.
- Manage the delivery of components within the Vehicle Lighting System [Certified Exterior Lamps, RGB/Signage Assemblies, Module Controllers] for the Zoox L5 Vehicle program.
- Define requirements, specifications of Vehicle Lighting sub-systems to achieve Vehicle attribute targets towards structure, mass, and performance (FMVSS108, Exterior Integration).
- Undertake feasibility and prototype testing of novel Lighting solutions.
- Complete release of Lighting components, sub-system, and detail designs; utilizing supplier engineering.
- Manage target delivery to build and validation milestones.
- Support material and manufacturing process decisions.
- Ensure design release and Validation.
- Collaborate with key exterior system and plastic component suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R’s.
- Understanding of exterior FMVSS108 homologation and vehicle crash requirements.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering equivalent or higher.
- 5+ years’ experience in Automotive Lighting component and system engineering (OEM or Tier I level).
- Knowledge of Lighting Optical Principles and Color definition management for a harmonized system.
- Injection Molding / Plastic manufacturing process for both Class-A Components and Support Enclosures.
- Proficiency in CATIA V5 or V6 within a product development environment.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle program from concept to in-field validation.
- Expertise in injection molded Component design and system DFM.
- Ability to implement GD&T and dimensional engineering principles in design.
- Experience with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVP’s and PVP’s, APQP.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.