Validation Engineer, Powertrain Systems
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
The Powertrain Engineering team at Zoox is responsible for the design, development, and production of an electric powertrain specifically tailored for our autonomous mobility service. Our team has an action-biased culture marked by integrity, humility, competence, and passion for the Zoox mission and the systems we design. We are building real products here and are looking for doers to join us.
As a Validation Engineer supporting High Voltage Powertrain development you will be responsible for establishing and executing a robust and rigorous validation process from requirements development through report approval. This will include managing internal and external testing resources as well as supplier-led validation activities which ensure durability, reliability, and safety targets are satisfied. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to understand the root causes of failures, identify mitigation strategies, and incorporate learnings into new designs.
- Develop and manage test plans to validate mechanical, electrical, and thermal systems of HV powertrain assemblies (incl. HV battery, Inverter, electric drive unit, and DC/DC)
- Perform system and component level development and validation testing for the HV powertrain components
- Manage validation schedule to ensure appropriate test assets are available and critical path items are identified
- Collaborate with design engineers to ensure that requirements are clearly defined and captured within the validation plan
- Identify appropriate test assets, data acquisition systems, and sensors to ensure high-quality data
- Analyze data to provide clear and concise reporting of test results
- Support DFMEA activities to ensure that all potential failure modes are adequate covered within the validation plan
- Support root cause failure analysis activities during development, validation, and deployment
- Design test fixtures necessary to complete testing
- Passion for electric, autonomous mobility, and specifically EV powertrain development
- BS or MS in mechanical engineering, or related relevant field
- 5+ years of experience of test or validation experience related to high voltage powertrain systems (incl. energy storage and power conversion)
- Understanding of Lithium-Ion failure modes/mechanisms
- Experience with failure and root cause analysis of power converter systems, power electronics, and high voltage and low voltage PCB circuits.
- Experience generating and managing DFMEAs
- Deep understanding of reliability engineering principles
- Experience with requirements management tools (Polarion or equivalent)
- Experience with a wide variety of lab and measurement equipment including but not limited to: (DAQ, Power supply/E-load, Oscilloscope, Load cell/strain gauge, Accelerometer, Pressure transducer, LVDT, Thermocouple, Arbin)
- Familiarity with industry testing standards
- SAE, MIL, UN, UL, GB/T, GTR
- Familiarity with 3D design tools. CATIA 3DX or CATIA V5 or SolidWorks preferred
- High voltage and low voltage PCB design
- Familiarity with MATLAB or Python
- EMI / EMC validation experience
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.