Procurement & Strategic PartnershipsApply for this position
Zoox is seeking an experienced, action-oriented, and hands-on Tooling Engineer to ensure the tooling (forming dies, injection molds, casting molds, etc) used to build our vehicle fleet are cost-effective, high quality, and developed within sufficient lead time. The role will include developing bottoms up should-cost models for tooling, evaluating supplier tooling quotes, validating the manufacturing methods of tooling, and identifying and managing preferred tooling vendors.
- Ensure all manufacturing of tooling and fixtures is correct and the processes and quality of the tooling is to industry standard.
- Perform tooling and fixture buy off in the supplier with the SQ engineer.
- Produce reports for department heads and Tooling manager on all projects and tooling in manufacture.
- Perform DFM on parts with the vehicle engineers to ensure that all parts are manufacturable and have undergone an industrialization process.
- Help and Instigate any tooling or fixture standard updates.
- Keep all tooling records up to date with the relevant information and logged into the database with ZOOX property labels and pictures.
- Manage tool design, fabrication, process development, and qualification onsite at various Tier 1 suppliers
- 6+ years of hands-on experience involving specification, and qualification of tooling
- Bachelors Degree or technical qualification
- Plastic molding tooling experience required
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence cross-functional stakeholders, including C-level, engineering, legal, finance, manufacturing, and logistics
- Experience collaborating with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing groups
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Work, Excel, Outlook, Project)
- Ability to perform financial analysis and cost justifications
- Tier 1 supplier background
- 10+ years of hand-on experience
- Proficient in the use of CAD (SolidWorks)
- Automotive or Medical industry preferred
- Proficient with the use of Design for Manufacturing, SPC and DFMEA.
- Experience with PVC processing & molds.
- Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas tooling vendors.
- Ability to work autonomously, with little direction
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.