Senior Engineer, Exterior Systems
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
As a member of the Body and Exterior Systems team, you will have the opportunity to come on board at the start of the development of the next generation of mobility vehicles. As the Sr. Exteriors Engineer you will work across all aspects of the Exterior System including the Fascia Assembly, Front End Module (FEM), Aero shields, Wheeliners, Front, and the integration of these systems into a brand new vehicle architecture. You will report to the Vehicle Exteriors and Lighting Manager within Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering Team.
As the lead, you will work to ensure the successful delivery of systems and assemblies, from conception through to the start of production. Crucial to this success will be driving and managing key relationships with Zoox’s supplier network while Zoox maintains a lean and agile cross-functional team in-house. You will use your knowledge to direct the technical effort, your expertise to ground the team, and your excellent communication and interpersonal skills to motivate and lead as we take a new path to redefine a traditional and well-established industry.
- Manage the delivery of the Exterior System [Fascia/FEM Assemblies, Body Panels, aeroshields, wheeliners] for the Zoox L5 Vehicle program
- Define requirements, specifications of Exterior sub-systems to achieve Vehicle attribute targets towards structure, mass, and performance (581 Bumper impact, Water fording).
- Undertake feasibility and prototype testing of novel Exterior System solutions
- The complete release of exterior components, sub-system, and detail designs, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required
- Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design with the Zoox design/styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost
- Manage target delivery to build and validation milestones
- Support material and manufacturing process decisions
- Ensure design release and validation
- Manage and collaborate with key suppliers
- Collaborate with key exterior system and plastic component suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events
- Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R’s
- Understanding of exterior homologation and vehicle crash requirements
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering equivalent or higher
- Five years minimum experience in automotive exterior trim component and subsystem engineering (OEM or Tier I level)
- Knowledge of automotive Trim/Panel materials and manufacturing process for both Class-A components and structural/functional panels
- Proficiency in CATIA V5 or V6 within a product development environment
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle program from concept to in-field validation
- Expertise in injection-molded component design and system DFM
- Ability to implement GD&T and dimensional engineering principles in design
- Experience with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVP’s and PVP’s, APQP, and other technical and quality assurance processes
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment with a high number of unknowns
- Demonstrated an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints
- Experience managing technical suppliers
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.