Chassis Structures Engineer
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
At Zoox, you’ll collaborate with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds in areas such as AI, robotics, mechatronics, planning, machine learning, control, localization, computer vision, rendering, simulation, distributed computing, design, and automated testing. You will be challenged to rethink what it means for hardware design to arrive at elegant and efficient systems now that a robot is in control. Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and make a big difference in the final product.
As an individual, or as the lead, you will work to ensure successful delivery of systems and assemblies, from conception through to start of production. Crucial to this success will be driving and managing key relationships with Zoox’s supplier network while Zoox maintains a lean and agile cross-functional team in-house. You will use your knowledge to direct the technical effort, your expertise to ground the team, and your excellent communication and interpersonal skills to motivate and lead as we take a new path to redefine a traditional and well-established industry.
- Conceptualize, design (2D and 3D), and lead development/release of vehicle structure components/assemblies (subframe, knuckle, control arms) to meet cost, weight, performance requirements
- Develop short and long term schedule/plans for vehicle structure development
- Define/negotiate requirements and specifications for the vehicle structure including DFMEAs, DVP’s and PVP’s, APQP
- Support validation testing for component/vehicle
- Support material and manufacturing process decisions both internally and externally
- Work cross-functionally and collaborate with peers, CAE/test teams, management, manufacturing, suppliers
- B.S. in mechanical engineering equivalent or higher
- Experience in structure design/engineering (OEM/supplier, university SAE team, or equivalent)
- Strong engineering fundamentals; understanding of strength and fatigue analysis techniques related to vehicle structure
- Knowledge of structure materials, manufacturing, joining methods and their pros/cons: aluminum extrusions/castings, steel/aluminum sheet metal, plastic components, adhesive, welding, SPR, FDS, rivets, and bolts
- Ability to implement GD&T and dimensional engineering principles in design
- Experience with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVP’s and PVP’s, APQP and other technical and quality assurance processes
- Proficiency with CATIA V5 or V6 CAD software
- Excellent communication skills
- Patents awarded
- Experience at automotive OEM
- Knowledge of automotive development/release process
- Experience performing CAE or CAE analysis
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.