Systems Engineer, Powertrain Systems
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
The Powertrain Engineering team at Zoox is responsible for the design, development, and production of an electric powertrain specifically tailored for our autonomous mobility service. Our team has an action biased culture marked by integrity, humility, competence, and passion for the Zoox mission and the systems we design. We are building real products here and are looking for doers to join us.
As a Powertrain Systems Engineer you will be working on system design, system definition, system analysis, system behaviors and control mechanization of various components of our L5 EV High Voltage Powertrain. This will include coming up with various system requirements based on a first principle system design approach and help various stakeholders both internal and external to the team and company. Work cross-functionally with several amazing engineers to solve complex system problems by breaking them down into more solvable problems . You will work closely with cross-functional teams to understand root causes of failures, identify mitigation strategies, and incorporate learnings into new designs.
- Vehicle Powertrain Electrical system definition and system design based on first principles approach, functional safety concepts and detailed system analysis.
- Come up with system behaviors, control mechanization and interfaces using system diagrams, signal flow diagrams, state machines, etc.
- Perform system analysis as needed for all aspects of optimization, controls and performance to guide various components of the powertrain system design.
- Future proof system design (tech risk assessment, trade studies).
- Support system integration, driving DFMEA, fault tree analysis and come up with, fault diagnostics, fault handling, etc.
- Drive or provide powertrain system safety test plans.
- Review subsystem component designs with both internal and external design teams.
- Deep technical knowledge of Electric Vehicles systems and subsystems including designs, modeling and simulation, materials, chemistries, and electronics.
- Passion for electric, autonomous mobility and specifically EV powertrain development.
- BS or MS in electrical engineering, or related relevant field.
- 5+ years of automotive systems engineering experience related to high voltage powertrain systems (incl. energy storage and power conversion) and functional safety design approach.
- Experience with automotive communication protocols (CAN, LIN, Flexray, Ethernet, SPI, I2C) and power domains
- Experience using simulation tools such as MATLAB/Simulink, LTSPICE, and programming tools such as Python, C and C++
- Familiarity with industry testing standards - SAE, MIL, UN, UL, GB/T, GTR.
- Familiarity with 3D design tools.
- High voltage and low voltage PCB design.
- Understanding of Lithium-Ion degradation and failure modes / mechanisms is a huge plus.
- Understanding concepts of EMI/C is a huge plus.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.