System Safety Engineer - Fault Protection
System Design and Mission AssuranceApply for this position
Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for cities and deploy such a robotaxi solution safely. We are seeking a Senior Fault Protection System Safety Engineer that will help Zoox’s System Design and Mission Assurance (SDMA) team to identify opportunities to improve, adapt, and apply the System Safety engineering process to guide and ensure the safe deployment of Level 5 autonomous driving technology. You will have the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of projects that will help mature Zoox autonomous systems.
- Define and architect how the Zoox vehicle responds to fault conditions from all potential sources and deliver fail-safe or fail-operational responses
- Choreograph the fault responses among various fault sources
- Collaborate with other SDMA system safety engineers to ensure that the integrity of fault response functions aligns with the safety case
- Determine performance requirements for the fault protection system responses
- Use bench testing, simulation, and real-world driving to gather necessary data. Ensure end-to-end traceability between: faults reported on-vehicle, offline log analysis tools, and safety requirements associated with faults.
- Lead cross-functional technical projects, including interactions with teams such as Software, Hardware, Vehicle Development, Operations, etc.
- BS degree in a related technical field, such as Engineering
- 5+ years of hands-on systems, safety, or related engineering experience with a focus on fault protection
- MS or higher degree in a related technical field, such as Engineering
- Experience as a Systems or Software Engineer for complex or mission critical systems
- Experience with simulation and modeling of physical hardware/software systems or data-driven modeling and analysis techniques
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.