Senior Platform Operations Engineer
Information TechnologyApply for this position
With your larger team, you will be responsible for operating Zoox's application, compute, and storage platforms. A successful candidate for this role will have deep knowledge in the required areas while also being able to contribute to other technical efforts. An operational mindset as a steward of production environments is key.
- Expertise in Linux systems and applications (Ubuntu/Debian experience required)
- Expertise in implementation and understanding of IPv4 concepts and services, VLANs
- Demonstrable advanced skills in Linux concepts, administration, internals, and troubleshooting
- Demonstrable skills with a scripting language or coding solution for system administration tasks.
- Experience with imaging solutions utilizing PXE, DHCP, Kickstart, Preseeds, for multiple O/S types
- Ability to both automate repetitive tasks and use convergent configuration management
- Participation in IP management, DNS administration, and hardening efforts.
- Participate in and mature our patching, upgrading and maintenance activities
- Participate in expanding monitoring for specific use cases
- Experience with enterprise-level production environments required
- Experience with Zabbix or other monitoring suites is highly desired
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to participate in a 24x7 on call rotation
- Willingness to participate in occasional project activities in off-hours, including weekends.
- Minimum of 5 years of Linux system administration experience at an expert level
- Expert knowledge of Linux system internals
- Experience with orchestration: Salt, Ansible (preferred); Chef or Puppet
- Experience with VMWare solutions
- Scripting abilities (Bash, Python, etc.)
- Enterprise production mindset including Incident, Problem, and Change Management
- Capacity to mentor and technically train more junior engineers.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with other groups with diverse deliverable
- Ability to occasionally travel to Sunnyvale, CA and Menlo Park, CA data centers as needed
- Knowledge of x86/x64 architectures and performance considerations
- Ability to supervise troubleshooting and repair of complex hardware and performance issues
- Experience with package management systems
- Docker / Kubernetes experience
- Experience with Mellanox networking equipment
- Exposure to AWS EC2/S3
- Exposure to GPU Computing
- Experience with Windows Server management
- Understanding of collecting and presenting metrics as KPIs
- Exposure to Data Center Inventory Management tooling: tracking of assets, dependency mapping and rack allocation considerations is a plus
- Exposure to GPU computing
- Exposure to ML/DL workloads
- Understanding of DC power infrastructure a plus
- Can conceptualize that “up” does not equate to “available”; performance SLOs
Employees working in this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.