Firmware Engineer Internship/Co-op
Advanced Hardware EngineeringApply for this position
As an intern on the Advanced Hardware Engineering team, you'll be working alongside those who architect, design, and develop our state-of-the-art hardware systems required for enabling autonomous mobility. The hardware systems are comprised of engineering disciplines that work cohesively with the rest of the company for a successful product launch.
You will be involved in a wide variety of coding at all levels of the embedded software stack, including drivers, middleware, libraries, and applications. You will often be the first person to bring up custom hardware and integrate it with Zoox's software stack. You should be passionate about developing production-quality code and designing a product that meets the high safety requirements needed for autonomous driving. You will be interfacing closely with the electrical, mechanical, and optical engineers designing the hardware, as well as the Perception team for the evaluation of sensors and the Core team for writing and bringing up hardware drivers.
- Currently working towards a B.S., M.S., Ph.D., or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program.
- Good academic standing
- Can commit to at least a 12-week internship
- At least one previous industry internship, co-op, or project completed in a relevant area
- Ability to relocate to the Bay Area, California for the duration of the internship
- Interns at Zoox may not use any proprietary information they are working on as part of their thesis, any published work with their university, or to be distributed to anyone outside of Zoox.
- Proficiency in C/C++, and experience in assembly is great
- Experience writing and debugging embedded software, including device drivers
- Hands-on experience with embedded development kits and/or custom PCB hardware
- Experience using oscilloscope/logic analyzer
- Professional and positive communication skills
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.