Software Engineer - Controls
SoftwareApply for this position
Zoox is looking for a controls engineer to join our Planning and Control team. In this role, you will be responsible for our vehicle’s longitudinal and lateral dynamics and other interior/exterior components. You will also work closely with other teams within the company, such as the Trajectory Planner team, to define suitable interfaces for the controls tasks. We are looking for someone with excellent leadership skills and technical expertise in control of complex dynamic systems.
- Architect and implement control strategies for our vehicle’s longitudinal and lateral dynamics and other interior/exterior components
- Define specifications and test suites to tune parameters and compare the performance of different controllers
- Work with validation team to define and execute tests for developed controllers
- Contribute to failure and hazard analyses and implement safety mitigations in the control software
- Work with the firmware team to ensure robust, safety-critical controller implementations in the hardened real-time embedded systems
- Work with the simulation team to integrate controllers in the simulation environment for development and validation
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related field
- Programming skills, e.g. in C / C++ / Python / Matlab / Simulink
- Strong background in controls (MPC, LQR, PID, etc.) and filter design (Kalman Filter, FIR, IIR, etc.) for complex dynamic systems
- Understanding of vehicle dynamics and automotive sensors and actuators
- Excellent leadership, project management, and organizational skills
- Experience implementing a control system in a real-world product on an embedded microcontroller platform
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.