Senior Safety Planning Manager
Safety, Policy, and Regulatory AffairsApply for this position
The Senior Safety Planning Manager will lead our safety planning, implementation, and safety program initiatives across Zoox teams, and drive the continuous improvement of our safety culture, risk management, data assessment, and decision-making processes. You and your team will be responsible for spearheading development and implementing effective customer-focused safety processes commensurate with Zoox’s safety innovative leadership.
As the Senior Safety Planning Manager, you will define and implement innovative processes that are rigorous, diligent, and systematic, as well as applicable and repeatable as Zoox continues to scale, to ensure the highest level of safety in the organization and product. You will continually improve our internal processes, including our Safety Management Systems approach, Safety Committee, Industry Standards, Anonymous Reporting, and Assessment activities, working closely with our Legal, Policy, Operations, Vehicle Engineering, Safety Design, Software, Hardware and Communications teams to ensure a rigorous, disciplined, risk-based approach.
The role will involve managing a small team of safety planning personnel with responsibility for hiring, training, and providing day-to-day oversight to the team. A successful candidate will be able to support other Zoox safety efforts including Operational Safety, Compliance, Policy, and Design activities.
- Actively direct, manage and supervise Zoox’s safety planning and key safety programs as part of an innovative holistic safety plan, such as our Safety Management System and Safety Policies while operating cross-functionally with other organizations
- Create, implement, and maintain our internal and external data gathering, analysis, and reporting processes, and work cross-functionally with other internal organizations to ensure proper regulatory reporting
- Facilitate, design, and implement innovative safety, data, and risk management programs and processes for decision-making, including systematically ensuring representation and input from key internal stakeholders
- Lead and continuously improve our safety assessment program, anonymous reporting/feedback programs, as well as our public interaction programs
- Ensure that Zoox is well-represented, informed, and influential on active Industry Standards and Best Practice activities and organizations
- Assist with formal reviews of safety programs with executive leadership and present data, findings, and areas of improvement
- Champion strong safety culture at Zoox, and represent Zoox with key external stakeholders and organizations
- Support the continuing development and implementation of successful operational safety and compliance programs
- 8+ years of experience in the AV, Automotive, Transportation, or Robotics industries, with experience leading safety-critical programs
- Proven ability to theorize, create, and implement successful safety programs, ideally in the AV or Robotics industry
- Extensive transportation safety knowledge, risk management/analysis experience, and experience building operational safety programs, ideally with experience in Functional Safety and SOTIF methodology
- Strong influence and communication skills with all levels of management, including proven ability to collaborate to achieve multiple simultaneous goals for the organization
- Strong management experience and skills, with the ability to guide others to accomplish complex programs and tasks
- Continuously remains aware of AV safety trends and ideally is a thought-leader in AV or other industry standards, or is an actively participating member of professional engineering or safety organizations
- BS in Engineering, Masters preferred; may consider other degrees in a technical or safety-related field
- PhD/Advanced degree in Engineering, Management, or other transportation safety-related field
- Familiarity with existing AV safety-related industry standards and best practices
- Membership or participation in professional societies or industry standards activities
- Certification in Safety or Automotive systems
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.