Software Engineer - CLAMS Validation
SoftwareApply for this position
Our Calibration, Localization, and Mapping (CLAMS) team is responsible for building the algorithms and tools necessary for keeping Zoox vehicles well calibrated, always knowing where they’re located within the world, and aware of their environment. Without precise calibration, localization, and mapping our vehicles would be at a disadvantage when it comes to perceiving and reasoning about the surrounding world, and is therefore foundational in enabling results from many other teams across Zoox. This work is critical for scaling autonomous driving in a safe and reliable way. We are looking for engineers who are ambitious and excited about helping Zoox deliver on its goals to deliver autonomous mobility.
As a Validation Engineer, you’ll collaborate with software engineers from each of our sub-teams to ensure our algorithms and pipelines are producing high quality results. This role does not need domain-specific SLAM skills, so it’s ideal for someone who wants to work at a high level with algorithms spanning sensor calibration, localization, and 3D mapping. You’ll aggregate data from our fleet of Level 3 and Level 5 vehicles, and build easy-to-understand dashboards to let us understand how well we’re doing.
- Design and build pipelines for validating complex calibration, localization, and mapping algorithms
- Identify issues, bugs, and vulnerabilities, and work with each of the CLAMS sub-teams to ship fixes
- Build and deploy automated validation and analysis tools, with a reporting system to provide quantitative analysis of our code and algorithms
- Build web front ends to display KPIs from each sub-team
- Run profilers on different aspects of our code, to ensure our teams are meeting compute & memory requirements
- Bachelors in Computer Science or related field
- At least 3 years of industry experience developing software
- Fluency in Python
- Proficiency in C++
- Strong mathematical skills
- Critical thinking about systems and failure modes, good intuition for when something is not right
- Understanding of calibration, localization, or mapping concepts
- Experience working with large datasets
- Experience with cloud and web technologies
- Experience with statistics and data analysis
Employees working in this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.