Safety Test and Validation Engineer
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
At Zoox we have set the goal to provide our customers with the highest level of safety while using our fully autonomous vehicles. As a member of the Zoox Safety Engineering team, you will work with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds such as robotics, control, and vehicle engineering. You will be responsible for planning and executing component and system tests all the way through to complete vehicle crash testing. Working closely with our internal team and external laboratories you will develop clear and precise protocols and perform tests according to them. Working at Zoox offers you the chance to manifest your creativity, utilize your excellent organizational and communication skills and make a big difference in the final product.
- Planning of safety test activities and hardware requirements and tracking of those
- Development of detailed test protocols
- Develop key performance indicators for test lab assessment and support of RFQs and facility selection
- Close work relation with integration teams to understand test and instrumentation requirements
- Technical interface to external facilities
- Ensure instrumentation and execution of tests (component, system, full-vehicle tests) is in line with plan
- Conduct initial data analysis and review with test lab for data integrity
- Reporting of test results and feedback to engineering teams
- Highlight observations, generate and track Jira vehicle performance tickets
- Work with the CAE team to assess and analyze the vehicle crash load paths and aid the structure development and occupant protection
- Review CAE models and predictions and compare with physical test results, propose and implement test instrumentation strategies for component, system, and full vehicle tests to aid assessment and CAE correlation
- Work in close cooperation with the CAE safety structures engineer to ensure that safety targets can be met for front, rear and side-impact events
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering with passion for electric, autonomous mobility
- 10+ years of experience within automotive development and testing, preferable safety testing
- Detailed knowledge of FMVSS, and other legal and consumer safety protocols
- Experienced in safety test setup and execution
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Proficiency with Python, Matlab, and/or NI Diadem strongly preferred
- Experience with 3D design and PLM tools, CATIA 3DX or CATIA V5 preferred
- Project management experience
- DFMEA knowledge, Experience with requirements management tools (Polarion or equivalent)
- Capable to build and script templates for first-pass data integrity checks, results analysis, and reporting
- Experience with Hyperworks and Meta and/or LS DYNA
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.