Foster City, CA • Full-time Test Technician, Lead
Test Technician, Lead
As a Test Technician Lead on Zoox’s Base Operation team, you will be responsible for the setup and execution of tests on Zoox development vehicles. This includes planning tests, organizing and installing test equipment, updating the vehicle to desired test configuration, and executing tests according to the requestor’s test procedures.
Testing will be required on various vehicle systems, such as vehicle performance, crash testing, noise and vibration, thermal performance, strength, and durability. You will utilize your expertise in one or more of these areas to support these testing activities and work closely with the responsible attribute leads.
As a technician lead, you will supervise and lead a team of individuals to carry out repairs, test prep, development, and ensure vehicle uptime is at its highest potential. You will keep your team aligned with milestones and provide support in ensuring goals and objectives are met. You will develop key performance indicators for your team members and aid them in reaching their and Zoox’s mission.
The Test Technician, Lead is required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That conditional offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Execute vehicle-level test requests with a focus on accuracy and thoroughness.
- Work with engineering to select the appropriate testing sensors and perform sensor installation.
- Work with vehicle engineering teams to perform setup and configuration of DAQ and test systems.
- Support preparing of test parts and updating of test vehicle(s) as dictated by the test requirements/requests.
- Coordinate logistic requirements for vehicles, equipment, and parts as dictated by the test requests.
- Execute tests, including collecting data as required.
- Engagement in the recruiting and hiring process for workshop personnel.
- Provides new-hire onboarding, training, and communicating expectations.
- Creates and manages employee schedules, including time-off. Enforces all health and safety policies in the workshop.
- Works with facilities on equipment and machinery maintenance.
- Ensures the workshop area is clean, organized, and free of dangerous and/or hazardous material.
- Assists in repairs, upgrades, maintenance, and other tasks involved in fleet operations.
- Manages workflow by allocating resources based on skill sets and ensures the job is done to internal quality standards.
- Manages work orders and ensures they meet internal quality and documentation standards.
- Support wiring harness builds and the supporting documentation.
- Support the analysis, documentation, and reporting of data as necessary.
- Support root cause analysis of component and full vehicle level issues.
- Perform vehicle level inspections, maintenance, and repairs.
- 5+ years of technician experience and 2+ years of leadership experience
- Extensive knowledge of methods, techniques, parts, tools, and materials used in the maintenance and repair of vehicles.
- Experience working with test equipment in one or more areas like NVH, vehicle dynamics, thermal, strength, and durability.
- Extensive knowledge of CAN/LIN, wiring diagrams, wiring repair, and soldering is highly preferred.
- Ability to travel locally and nationally (50%, or more, of the time). Occasional international travel may be required.
- Clean driving record.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects/deliverables.
- Team player that collaborates well cross-functionally.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Must be honest, responsible, and an outstanding communicator.
- Experience in an automotive-focused engineering or research lab (i.e. Dyno, Battery, etc.).
- Experience with vehicle alignments and required adjustments.
- Experience with ADAS, and/or autonomous platforms.
- General understanding of electric vehicle architecture.
- Technical trade school certificate or Associate Degree in automotive repair.
Employees working in this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.