Software Stability Engineer
SoftwareApply for this position
Zoox is looking for an embedded software stability engineer to join our Firmware team. In this role, you will be responsible for using your skills with complex systems to conduct system level stability issue triage, debug, root cause and develop or suggest necessary software and controls fixes for various subsystems of the Zoox vehicle, which includes throttle, braking, steering, a variety of operator control units, and other electronic control units which manage the driving, power, body, and thermal subsystems. This will be a challenging role because the Zoox robot is a complex system currently undergoing very active development and testing. You will be Firmware’s first line of defense in investigating specific, technical root causes from system-level symptoms.
The successful candidate shall analyze issues or crash dumps reported from internal test teams to triage and identify problematic areas and further involve related development teams for root-causing and fixing. In addition, the candidate shall act as stability issue owner to co-work with various peers including development, systems, project management and vehicle engineering teams to drive stability issues to closure. In some cases, this may mean taking personal responsibility for implementing the fix or it may mean overseeing another team’s solution and validation effort.
The candidate should be capable of running a variety of tests and engineering experiments to identify, reproduce, and isolate bugs found via debugging and performance analysis tools.
- Triage, Debug, Fix and Validate embedded software for controlling the Zoox vehicle.
- Support on-site testing and integration of Firmware on the Zoox vehicle.
- Identify, reproduce, and isolate bugs found via debugging and performance analysis tools
- Work cross-functionally with vehicle engineers, controls engineers, systems engineers, validation engineers, and other experts to ensure safe and robust operation of the Zoox vehicle.
- Troubleshoot complex inter-dependent mechatronic and control systems.
- Contribute to all phases of the software development cycle including prototyping, requirements capture, design, implementation, validation, and support
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience developing and debugging real-time embedded software on embedded systems or related work experience.
- Strong embedded C/C++ programming experience. Python programming experience is also desirable.
- Experience with debugging of embedded microcontrollers and microprocessors (ARM, PowerPC, x86/Amd64).
- Experience in working with multi-threaded and low-latency applications.
- Familiarity with modern software development methodologies and tools (Agile, Git, unit testing, CI, etc.) and debugging tools like T32, GDB, JTAG etc.
- Understanding of EV sub-systems, sensors and actuators, and automotive communication protocols
- Knowledge of vehicle dynamics and control systems
- Experience with CAN, LIN analysis, and debugging tools (PCAN, CANalyzer, CANape, etc.)
- Experience with real-time operating systems (POSIX, QNX, FreeRTOS)
- Familiarity with high assurance development practices and tools (Polarion, ISO-26262, MISRA C/C++, etc.)
- Experience debugging and delivering a complex mechatronic system featuring multiple, independent electrical subsystems (eg. robots).
- Passion for analyzing debug data, and using data to provide informed decision making and fixes.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.