Mac Desktop Engineer
Information TechnologyApply for this position
This position is part of the IT department at Zoox and belongs to the IT Desktop Engineering team. Zoox’s Desktop Engineer (Mac & Linux) is responsible for enabling high-quality user support by providing tooling and analytics to our Client Services (Help Desk, Tier I & II) team. Ranging from providing hardware recommendations to packaging and deploying software company wide, the role is multifaceted and ever-evolving. As the company brings new technologies online, the Desktop Engineer will be responsible for enabling Client Services to support users as they adopt new applications and processes. In this role, the employee will be surrounded with exceptional peers and will be exposed to many challenging tasks with opportunities to learn and grow.
- Act as a subject matter expert for the technical aspect of Jamf Pro and Canonical Landscape for best practices related to OS management
- Design, create, test and maintain internal macOS and Linux (Ubuntu) client imaging infrastructure
- Identify trends and frequent problems; address by creating patches or providing front-facing documentation
- Application packaging and distribution
- OS and application patch management
- Creating and utilizing shell or python scripts as needed
- Resolve difficult system problems and provide consultation or training. Configure and assist in the design of system and network security.
- Document systems infrastructure for users, support and consulting personnel, and developers. Train and consult services to Client Services team members and users.
- Work with asset management team to ensure endpoint data requirements are captured
- Keep informed of the latest developments in computer software and hardware technology and continue to learn new technologies and offerings from vendors and solution partners.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience as a Mac administrator with the ability to install, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain macOS
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience as a Linux administrator with the ability to install, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain the Linux operating system
- Experience administering MDM tools such as Jamf Pro
- Familiarity with Apple Device Program and Volume Program
- Working knowledge of Active Directory (AD, AAD, AADDS)
- Experience with Bash, Perl or Python and ability to create and utilize scripts to complete tasks on small or large groups of PCs and VDIs
- Familiarity with principles of cyber security hygiene and practice of system hardening and monitoring
- Ability to train others in applications and operating system fundamentals
- Strong problem-solving and communication skills, and independent drive to create written documentation, requirements, and technical diagrams
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Jamf Certified Expert Certification or equivalent
- Apple Certifications (for example ACSP, ACTC, ACSA, ACS, ACMA)
- Experience with Canonical’s Landscape
- Experience with VMware Horizon
- Experience with hypervisors at a junior to a middle level (for example VMware ESXi)
- Experience with Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Intune)
Employees working in this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.