Advanced Hardware EngineeringApply for this position
Zoox's Advanced Hardware Engineering (AHE) group is responsible for the design, development, and innovation of sensor technology and the compute platform for our autonomous vehicles. We are looking for an optical engineer with experience ranging from optical design to production to join our AHE Sensors team. This person will work with cross-functional teams to define requirements, generate designs for product and test stations, analyze sensor performance, perform component testing, and work with suppliers to meet critical specifications.
- Take input from functional requirements and derive corresponding specifications for imaging and illumination systems.
- Design and analyze optical systems using sequential and non-sequential optical software (Zemax, FRED, etc.) and supporting scripts.
- Communicate effectively with peers to derive requirements as well as suppliers to convey optical requirements and manufacturing concerns
- Design relevant lab tests to verify optical performance after receiving components, including test definition, equipment, and data analysis.
- BS/MS in optics
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Conceptual and hands-on experience with geometric optics, lens design and tolerancing, imaging systems, stray light, radiometry, intrinsics, optical coatings, lasers and electro-optical devices.
- Experience designing, integrating and/and testing optical systems with detectors, such as CMOS, CCD, APD, and Microbolometer arrays
- Optical component testing experience (Spectral transmission, etc.), optical system alignment and testing (EFL, MTF, stray light, etc.), and opto-electrical system modeling
- Experience designing or specifying high-volume production-optical components and systems
- Optical system experience with consideration for environmental variation and reliability. (STOP analysis or similar).
- Detector technology (CMOS, APD, Microbolometer, etc.)
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $139,000 to $227,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.