Engineering Manager - Validation and Vehicle Test
System Design and Mission AssuranceApply for this position
Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for cities. We are seeking an Engineering Manager to lead a validation team that’s proving the safe performance of our robot in a variety of driving scenarios.
In this role, you will lead a team of validation engineers that leverage methods including log data analysis, simulation, and closed course structured testing. You’ll work cross functionally with driving software teams, software tool teams, test operators, systems engineers, proving ground operators, and more to develop, execute, and iterate on your validation campaigns. These campaigns will prove the rigor of our safety critical system, are highly visible, and are an important critical path element of launching our service. The ideal candidate not only brings technical expertise and leadership to the role, but also provides mentorship, drives clarity from ambiguity, brings new processes into existence, scopes projects, sets priorities, and propels the company forward.
- Manage a team of engineers constructing and executing driving behavior validation campaigns
- Deliver validation evidence to support increasingly complicated operations & provide feedback to development teams with regards to any findings
- Reach out and work collaboratively with cross-functional partners and stakeholders to successfully deliver projects that significantly contribute to the success of the overall Safety Case of Zoox technology
- Mentor engineers and grow the team to achieve our ambitious goals
- Develop methodologies to conduct validation campaigns more quickly and more efficiently
- Assess test readiness of various vehicular tests as it relates to safety, configuration, preparation, and other axes
- B.S. or higher degree in Automotive Engineering, Aerospace, Robotics, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science, or Systems Engineering
- 7+ years of industry experience with vehicle or complex system validation; ADAS or AV focus preferred
- 2+ years of experience with leading direct reports
- Experience developing integration and test plans and procedures for the rigorous verification and validation of safety critical robotic systems, autonomous vehicles, or other complex robotics/software systems
- Demonstrated ability to operate in an agile environment and to distill clarity for a team from ambiguous problem statements
- Analytical skills and hands-on experience
- Cross-disciplinary background and curiosity. Confident with automotive electronics
- MS or higher degree in Automotive Engineering, Aerospace, Robotics, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science, or Systems Engineering
- Professional experience in an autonomous driving technology company
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, C, or C++
- Familiarity with SQL and navigating modern data models
- Familiar with AB Dynamics, Humanetics, 4Active, or similar ADAS test equipment
- Experience with Linux Systems, OxTS
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.