Senior/Staff Software Engineer – Optimization Framework and Algorithms
SoftwareApply for this position
Zoox is looking for software engineers – optimization framework and algorithms to help improve autonomous driving quality using large-scale, distributed optimization and data analysis. In this role, you will leverage real-world driving data and metrics to design optimization problems and solution techniques. You will work cross-functionally with engineers in AI platforms, simulation, and data science. Your work will make a direct and measurable impact on vehicle driving behaviors.
- Design large-scale optimization problems and analyze results using driving data
- Lead complex, cross-functional projects
- Develop methods to reduce overfitting
- Design and implement features to improve optimization capabilities
- Improve training data quality
- Communicate your work to other teams at Zoox
- MS or PhD in optimization, statistics, motion planning or machine learning
- Solid computer science fundamentals
- Fluency in Python
- Experience with numerical optimization
- Experience with distributed systems
- Fluency in C++
- Experience with black-box optimization and its application to hyperparameter tuning
- Experience with multi-objective optimization
- Experience with autonomous vehicles
- Experience building large-scale software services on the cloud
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $221,000 - $319,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.