Engineering Manager, Trim and Lighting
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
Zoox is developing fully autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring the technology to market at scale. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution.
As the Engineering Manager– Exterior and Lighting in Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering Team, you will be responsible for leading the team that designs, releases and launches the exterior trim along with the exterior and interior lighting for Zoox vehicles. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class vehicle systems in terms of form, function and durability. You will utilize your expertise and leadership experience to develop and design and deliver systems rather than just components as you work with a lean and agile team. You will report to the Engineering Director of Trim & Lighting systems and this position resides in Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering team. The opportunity to innovate and develop a unique lighting system for the worlds first bi-directional autonomous. This includes development of systems
to communicate with light and sound.
If you are excited about solving difficult problems and the opportunity to help define what an autonomous vehicle can be, we want to hear from you.
- Design of automotive component parts in CATIA V6.
- Develop and execute exterior and lighting system requirements.
- Participate in the iterative process with the Zoox design/styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost.
- Implement processes and material selections to achieve world class durability, reliability and fit & Finish of automotive exteriors and lighting.
- Lead a team of engineers (a player-coach) in order to complete and release exterior and lighting components, sub-system and detail designs, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required.
- Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design.
- Collaborate with key suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R’s.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (Other Disciplines considered with experience) with a minimum of 10 years of experience in automotive exterior trim and lighting development and subsystem engineering (OEM or Tier I level), demonstrating technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production and
- 3D modeling proficiency in CATIA V6 or the equivalent in experience.
- 5 years’ experience leading an engineering team through at least one full cycle development project.
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment with a high number of unknowns.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA.
- Experience Managing technical suppliers.
- Demonstrated an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints.
Employees working in this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.