Manager, Body Structures
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
Zoox is developing fully autonomous vehicles and the supporting ecosystem required to bring the technology to market at scale. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We believe the transition to self-driving vehicles requires a combination of elegant vision and uncompromising execution.
As the Body Structures Manager in Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering Team, you will be responsible for leading the team that designs, releases and launches the body system for Zoox vehicles. You will partake in ideation, design, and industrialization of innovative Body architectures. You will utilize your expertise and leadership to lead and build a lean and agile team. Reporting to the Engineering Director of Body & Closures systems in Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering team, you will be at the ground floor of innovation and development of the world's first bi-directional autonomous vehicle. If you are excited about solving difficult problems and the opportunity to help define what an autonomous vehicle can be, we want to hear from you.
- Lead development and launch of Body structures systems
- Participate in the iterative design process with cross functional teams including CAE, Studio, and Safety and Integration
- Ensure conceptual architecture and structural performance is upheld through the program lifecycleDefine and implement processes and material selections to achieve world class durability, reliability and performance of Body structure
- Lead a team of engineers (a player-coach), and step in when needed to help design automotive components in CATIA V6
- Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design
- Collaborate with key suppliers, and internal Manufacturing and Quality teamsSupport overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events
- Responsible for technical documentation, including DFMEAs and DVP&R’s.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) with a minimum of 10 years of experience in Body structure design and architecture
- Experience with a variety of construction methods (stampings, castings, extrusions, SMC), diverse joining methods (linear/spot welding, adhesive), and hybrid structural design
- 3D modeling proficiency in CATIA V6 or the equivalent in experience
- 5 years’ experience leading an engineering team through at least one full cycle development project
- Demonstration of ability to work in a fast paced environment with a high number of unknowns and tight timing constraints
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, and demonstrated proficiency with GD&T and dimensional engineering
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA
- Experience managing technical suppliers
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.