Foster City, CA • Full-time Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Systems
Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Systems
At Zoox, you’ll collaborate with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds in areas such as AI, robotics, machine learning, controls, computer vision, simulation, design, and automated testing. You will be challenged to rethink what it means for hardware design to develop a purpose-built vehicle that drives itself. Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and make a big difference in the final product.
As a mechanical engineer on our electrical systems team, you will lead the design of systems that are critical to vehicle development and testing, as well as support the team in mechanical component design. In this highly cross-functional role, you will need to develop requirements, solve challenging design problems, create and test prototypes, and coordinate projects to meet critical company milestones.
The Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Systems is required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That conditional offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Lead the design and implementation of test hardware critical for vehicle homologation
- Own component-level mechanical design for the 12V battery and brackets, as well as plastic and metal brackets for low-voltage harnesses
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define component requirements and interfaces, and steer cross-functional teams to implement changes to vehicle-level systems
- Conceptualize, design, lead development/release or electro-mechanical systems and components
- Support validation testing for components
- Manage development work and timelines for multiple projects
- Work with manufacturing and quality engineers to mature components and support vehicle builds
- Support vehicle bring-up and test activities
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical, Mechatronics, or Manufacturing Engineering (or equivalent)
- 3-5+ years of experience in mechanical design using 3D CAD and supporting analyses (stress/strain, thermal, mass, tolerance, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of materials properties and applications, as well as fabrication methods
- Experience taking a product or assembly from initial concept through to production manufacturing, working with external suppliers, and managing deliverables
- Good communication, organization, and documentation skills to drive decisions to closure
- Proficiency in CATIA v5 or v6 and/or 3DX
- Automotive, aerospace, or safety-critical industry experience
- Experience with automotive functional safety (ISO26262) standards
- Experience with chassis and/or electro-mechanical systems
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.