Chassis Engineer, Actuators
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
At Zoox, you’ll collaborate with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds in areas such as AI, robotics, mechatronics, planning, machine learning, control, localization, computer vision, rendering, simulation, distributed computing, design, and automated testing. You will be challenged to rethink what it means for hardware design to arrive at elegant and efficient systems now that a robot is in control. Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and make a big difference in the final product.
The candidate will have component design and release responsibility working with a variety of chassis components. To deliver these systems, the candidate will be an integral member of the chassis actuator engineering team and will coordinate the execution and delivery of engineering milestones. The candidate will work with tier one suppliers to lead development and release of components related to an active chassis system while meeting cost, weight, timing and performance targets. The scope includes the chassis elements of active suspension, brake and steering systems including mechatronic units, hydraulic pumps, valves, accumulators, and electronic controllers. The candidate will also have experience interfacing with electrical systems and software groups. Documentation to be delivered in support of component and vehicle execution will include: requirements and specifications, failure mode and effects analysis, 2D and 3D computer aided drawings, PLM release process documents, as well as system and component level technical specifications. As we are a small team, this role will also other cross functional activity such as vehicle integration and testing.
- You will design, in CATIA V6, prototype hardware and electromechanical systems
- You will generate 2D drawing packages for fabrication and assembly
- You will evaluate the static, dynamic, structural and thermal-mechanical performances of mechanical assemblies
- You will optimize the design and build of our Prototype Development Fleet
- You will collaborate with suppliers to manage designs, design documents, execute engineering disciplines and component deliveries
- You will collaborate with different Zoox teams for manufacturing, assembly and bring up of the robots
- You will collaborate with experts in AI, Mechatronics, Computer Vision and Robotics from all teams throughout Zoox
- Bachelors degree in mechanical engineering
- 3+ years experience in vehicle engineering, chassis systems design and component delivery
- Understanding of hydraulic systems, electrical systems and system architecture
- Experience in testing and vehicle development
- Strong communication skills with peers, management, manufacturing, and suppliers
- Knowledge of automotive program development/release process and long term schedule planning
- Proficiency with CATIA V5 or V6 CAD software
- Good team and collaboration skills
- Advanced degrees - MS of PhD degree is a plus
- Patent awards
- CAN & Network skills
- Experience at automotive OEM or significant Tier 1
- Polarion, Jira and Confluence experience
- Simulink software proficiency and hydraulic system modeling
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.