Validation Engineer, Chassis Systems
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
At Zoox, as a member of the Vehicle Engineering Chassis Team, you will collaborate with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds in areas such as AI, robotics, mechatronics, planning, machine learning, control, localization, computer vision, rendering, simulation, distributed computing, design, and automated testing. You will be challenged to rethink what it means for engineering design and testing to arrive at elegant and efficient systems now that a robot is in control. Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and make a big difference in the final product.
The candidate will be a member of the Chassis Actuators team responsible for component and system requirements, testing and reporting, and collaborate on vehicle system integration issues. In this role, you will work closely with the Chassis Engineering team to coordinate the execution and delivery of engineering milestones by working cross functionally with Vehicle Integration and Attributes, Functional Safety, Electrical Integration, Software and other teams.
In addition, the candidate will work with tier one suppliers to complete and document component level test results. The scope of the Chassis Actuators team includes the Active Suspension, Brake System, Steering System, Mechatronic Units, and Electronic Controllers and the specific assignments and job activities flex with the needs of the vehicle program.
- Responsible for development, integration, and validation of one or more actuator systems.
- Plan, execute and/or oversee validation activities for actuator components and systems tailored specifically for autonomous mobility including test instrumentation, test execution, data analysis and test reporting.
- Development and documentation of detailed test protocols.
- Collaborate and coordinate a range of activities across various Zoox functions to ensure efficient and timely development to meet program milestones.
- Technical interface to external suppliers and organizations and to internal teams.
- Coordination of troubleshooting and reporting of component and subsystem related vehicle issues including issue reporting and tracking using tools such as Jira, Confluence and Polarion.
- Execution of engineering disciplines such as FMEA, disciplined problem solving (8-d, PPS, etc.), DVP&R/PVP&R, engineering sign-off, etc.
- Some travel to test sites may be required (pending Covid travel protocols).
- Bachelor degree in mechanical (or other related) engineering.
- At least 3 years experience in chassis systems engineering.
- Understanding of hydraulic systems, electrical systems and system architecture.
- Experience in testing and vehicle development.
- Experience with requirements development and management.
- Problem solving skills and FMEA.
- CAN communications and vehicle networking skills.
- Strong communication skills with peers, management, manufacturing, and suppliers.
- Knowledge of automotive systems engineering processes and schedule planning.
- Advanced degrees.
- Proficiency with CATIA V5 or V6 CAD software.
- Polarion, Jira and Confluence experience.
- Experience at automotive OEM or significant Tier 1.
- Significant simulation experience and analytic modeling tool usage.
- Supplier experience and launch experience.
- Patent awards.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.