Battery Engineering Lead
Vehicle DevelopmentApply for this position
Zoox's Powertrain Engineering team is responsible for the design, development, and production of an electric powertrain specifically tailored for our autonomous mobility service. Our team has an action-biased culture marked by integrity, humility, competence, and passion for our mission and the systems we design. We are building real products here and are looking for doers to join us.
As battery engineering lead, you will be responsible for leading the High Voltage Battery Engineering Team, driving supplier engagements, and managing the engineering development process to deliver a complete HV Battery system specifically designed for autonomous mobility. This role requires at least 10 years of experience within automotive HV battery development as well as a deep knowledge of and love for managing a project from concept to series production. Previous experience with the nuances of cylindrical cell module and pack design highly desired.
- You will act as the technical owner and architect of the HV battery system tailored specifically for autonomous mobility
- You will lead and oversee supplier engagements specific to all aspects of HV battery development
- You will lead the design and development from proof of concept prototypes to serial production
- You will oversee test and validation activities ensuring proper execution and timely completion
- You will manage system-specific BOM, documentation, and approving build processes, and supporting quality and cost engineering
- You will manage projects to ensure high-quality engineering and on-time completion
- BS or MS in mechanical engineering
- At least 10 years of experience within automotive HV battery development with demonstrable production implementations
- Demonstrated experience as a subject matter expert in HV battery systems
- Deep experience with 3D design and PLM tools, CATIA 3DX or CATIA V5 preferred
- Experience with and knowledge of manufacturing processes and procedures relating to HV assemblies
- DFMEA knowledge
- Deep understanding of Lithium-Ion failure modes / mechanisms
- Experience with engineering strategies for thermal safety performance and thermal runaway tolerance
- Demonstrated experience with cylindrical cell module and pack design
- Experience with requirements management tools (Polarion or equiv.)
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.