Firmware Manager - Drive Systems
SoftwareApply for this position
As a Firmware Manager on the Drive Systems team at Zoox, you will help manage and lead a team focused on embedded software development for the driving-related functions and sub-systems of the Zoox vehicle. This work includes throttle, braking, steering, a variety of operator controls, integration of supplier systems, coordination and control of all driving sub-systems, and low-level vehicle controls. Firmware is front and center at Zoox as we are building a ground-up autonomous vehicle with many components designed and built in-house with custom software/firmware. Engineers on the drive team at Zoox have the opportunity to design and develop software that interacts with multiple electronic control units, enforce safe driving behavior of the vehicle, define the integration and system level testing methodology and also drive engagement with various suppliers over the lifecycle of the Zoox vehicle.
As a manager on the Drive Firmware team, you will technically lead, hire, train and retain a team of firmware developers focusing on developing applications that control highly-available safety-critical embedded electronic control units related to the drivetrain like propulsion, steering, braking in Zoox autonomous vehicles.
- Lead and Contribute to firmware design and development activities.
- Direct Firmware verification and validation activities
- Work cross-functionally with vehicle engineers, controls engineers, systems engineers, validation engineers, and other experts to ensure safe and robust operation of the Zoox vehicle
- Construct technical plans, manage priorities and schedules
- Assist with scrum/sprint planning and retrospectives
- Perform Code reviews and enforce safe coding practices
- Conduct employee performance reviews
- Mentor and assist with the professional development of firmware engineers
- Programming skills in C/C++Experience with embedded microcontrollers and microprocessors (ARM, PowerPC)
- Experience designing and developing systems running embedded Linux, QNX, FreeRTOS, or SafeRTOS
- Technical and team leadership skills.
- Hands-on software/firmware development and debugging of microcontroller-based systems-on-a-chip, particularly in the automotive domain
- Familiarity with high assurance development practices and tools (Polarion, ISO-26262, MISRA C/C++, etc.)
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.