Foster City, CA • Full-time Sensor Safety Engineer
Sensor Safety Engineer
Advanced Hardware Engineering
Zoox is looking for a sensor safety engineer to join its Advanced Hardware Engineering team. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and documenting functional safety and SOTIF (Safety of Intended Functionalities) requirements for sensor modules and providing guidance in architecture design. In addition, you will perform safety analysis on both custom and third-party hardware architectures at the module level. You will work closely with systems engineers, design engineers, and test engineers to fully capture safety requirements and the capability of our hardware. Your analysis and assessment will be paramount to all other requirements with respect to our hardware
- Engage with suppliers and review work products to conduct detailed functional safety analysis
- Work with system engineers to develop and document module level functional safety requirements
- Work with design engineers to characterize architectures and decompose module-level requirements into board level component requirements
- Work with test engineers to design tests to qualify failure modes, quantify failure rates, and execute HIL fault injection tests to validate functional safety models
- Interface closely with the Internal Safety Systems team at Zoox
- Define the strategy for SOTIF analysis for sensing systems
- Review, approve, and provide guidance for architecture proposals and design verification plans
- Lead and participate in quantitative and qualitative functional safety activities that lead to the development of Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessments (HARAs) or Functional Hazard Analysis (FHAs), Fault Tree Analysis (FTAs), Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEAs), Failure Mode Effects and Diagnostics Analysis (FMEDA)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills
- BS or higher degree in aerospace, automotive, robotics, computer science, electrical, mechanical, or systems engineering
- 3+ years of work experience with hazard analysis, functional decomposition, validation, and verification
- Analytical skills and passion for writing clear, concise, and verifiable requirements
- System development experience within standards such as ISO-26262, ARP4754A, ARP4761, DO-178C, DO-254, IEC 61508
- Experience with automotive compute and/or control systems
- Experience with camera, radar, or lidar systems on vehicles
- Experience using requirements management tools such as Polarion (preferred), DOORS, or Jama
- Experience in SOTIF
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.